During pregnancy, some women experience stress incontinence due to an increased pressure on the bladder. The problem may persist after childbirth, causing an involuntary loss of urine when coughing, sneezing, or going to the restroom.
The extra pressure that a developing baby places on the mother’s bladder sphincter (a muscular valve that holds urine in the bladder by keeping the urethra closed) can cause it to become weak.
The Embarrassment of Stress Incontinence
It is not uncommon for expectant and new moms to experience a leakage of urine. This can cause embarrassment and distress, making her feel unable to be far from any public toilet. Some women stay at home for fear of having an accident in public.
The more children a woman has, the worse the problem tends to get. Many women use incontinence pads after childbirth. These are like sanitary towels, but can hold a larger volume of liquid. However, there are other ways to approach the problem.
Treatment Options for Stress Incontinence
Rosemary Bates, MD noted that urinary incontinence treatments in Plano and other parts of Texas are available from empathic, discreet and sensitive specialists.
– The most obvious remedy for stress incontinence is regularly doing Kegel exercises, as recommended by obstetricians. These involve squeezing the vaginal muscles to close the urethra and strengthen the bladder sphincter.
– Electrical stimulation can also be used to tighten muscles. This is achieved with a device like a TENS machine. A probe is placed in the vagina and this emits a small amount of electricity. Muscles contract, tightening the pelvic floor.
– Urethral inserts are another option. They act like a tampon for the urethra and block the flow of urine and can be put in when going out, playing sports, or doing a high-risk activity.
– Vaginal pessaries or rings can be placed in the vagina where they act as a support for the bladder.
– There are also estrogen creams that restore tissue thickness to the vagina and reduces the chance of leakage.
Don’t let stress incontinence ruin your life. Seek help for some surprisingly simple solutions.